Thursday, October 15, 2015

A Lesson in Forgiveness - I wanted People to Hate Her.

I'm always a little ashamed when I think of this story, but I am grateful for that feeling. Not so that I dwell on what I did wrong or beat myself up, but so that I am reminded that I never want to be like that again. I am grateful for the lessons I learned from this experience and for two great girls that helped me remember who I really was.

A lesson in forgiveness: I wanted people to hate her

BOUNTIFUL — I had the opportunity to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Catania, Italy. When you serve a mission for the LDS Church, you are assigned into a pair or a companionship. Some companions fit you perfectly, while many others do not.
Twenty-four hours a day with someone for anywhere from 3-6 months and sometimes longer can get very trying. I was given one particular companion who was very different than me. After a few short weeks, I found myself wishing one of us would get transferred to another area. It gets lonely on the mission. Having the only other person you can talk to be someone you don't really get along with compounds that feeling immensely. As a 21-year-old girl, I felt it acutely. I later realized she did as well.
My companion would often make calls at night to one of her previous companions. They would talk in Italian, and since I didn't yet know the language well enough to understand, I didn't know I was often the topic of conversation, more specifically how difficult I was to live with. I was finally transferred after three months. My new companion happened to be the companion of the girl who my old companion called nightly to complain to. It became evident, very quickly, that my new companion had already formed a not-so-great opinion of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment