Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Talents and Water

I have the opportunity to teach a class on the New Testament. This week as I read about the parable of the talents (Matthew 25:14-30), something struck me that I would love to share.

 I think sometimes I feel embarrassed when someone compliments me or says, "you have a gift" in regards to something I have said or done. Consequently, I may try to hide my gift the next time or not share it, because I don't want the attention. A thought came to me in that regard. Not sharing my gift is like going on a hike... with a friend and my friend is dying of heat exhaustion. I have the water she needs, but instead of giving it to her, I pour it on the ground or bury it and then say, "Oh, sorry. I was afraid that you would think I was awesome for sharing my water so I poured it out instead."
 

That sounds so silly, but I have done that. If I am the person who needs that water and has been praying for it, I may well think someone is awesome for sharing it with me, but more likely I will thank God for providing that person with the water that I needed when I needed it. I believe we have these gifts simply because God gave them to us. They are a gift. I am not sure that personalities or earning them or awesomeness even came into play when we got them. Obviously, I don't know, but the point is, it's a gift given to us, not necessarily for us, but to help our brothers and sisters. No wonder it is offensive to God like the scriptures say if we don't use it or we "bury it". It wasn't for us, it was for others.
 

Everyone of us has at least one gift and I'm willing to wager probably more than that. I'm grateful to all of you who have shared your gifts with me and have blessed my life as a result.
Share your gift with someone this week it may just be the "water," they have been praying for.
 

-Kate
 

Listen to our new show today on Gratitude @fromthelivingroom.com

1 comment:

  1. Well said. Thank you for sharing your gift of words!

    ReplyDelete