Drywall went up Saturday.
And my favorite part-Staining. The stain I bought ended up being darker than it showed in the picture. I had a lambswool applicator I started to apply it with, but it went on too thick so my brother in Law Mark and I ditched it and went to plain old rags.
I was tempted for a little bit to keep the wood natural, because it's so gorgeous and I love the grain, but once we stained it I was so glad we did.
Mark is my husbands older brother. He is a perfectionist and together with my speed (I am not) and his following behind me to clean up my messes, we made an awesome team. By the end he was spotless. I had gotten stain on the doors, walls and all over me. Say what you will about being a perfectionist, but all I know is that it takes me one hour to do what it takes you to do in four. haha. However the other three I spend cleaning up my messes!
So here is the floor once we finished staining it. It probably took us and hour and a half to do two bedrooms, a hall and the living room. Not too bad.
And now for the end result. I came back to the house three different times and did the Polyurethane coats. I buffed before I did the last coat and am so glad I did, however know that if you are ever planning on doing this and want to buff your floors-that buffer is not meant for a woman--anyone under 200 pounds really. That thing tossed me around like a rag doll. I literally would turn it on and then slide all the way across the floor until I slammed into the walls. It would have been hilarious on video-- too bad I was all alone. I did somehow manage to buff it all though. It was super quick too probably because it has a devil inside of it and the possessed thing just went where it wanted to go with me dragging behind it.
I started out with the semi-gloss, but ended up going to gloss for the end coat. So so glad I did. Love the shine!!
OK so now the best part. We were quoted $4,000.00 to do the floors. I was also told by multiple people it is terrible to do and not to attempt it.
To rent all the equipment, sandpaper, supplies, stain, polyurethane and everything else you'd need to do this project we ended up paying out under $500.00!! Just to give you an idea, that's the same price I paid for laminate flooring and pad in our bedroom alone and that was for laminate!
So end result. I did not think it was bad at all. Literally one of the easier projects I have ever taken on. I would do it again. It's not even that time consuming either. I think one could do this project in two days total.
I'm thrilled with the end result and so proud if I do say so myself! For $500.00 to get something like that-that is fantastic!