Wednesday, November 13, 2013

What Women Want

A little while ago, I asked my husband to do something. He did it . . . and then I got mad at him for not doing it the way I wanted him to.

I do that sometimes.  I'm sure a lot of women do. For example, it's OK for me to yell at or spank the kids, but when my husband does it, sometimes I come to their rescue or tell him to calm down. This is ridiculous since my husband is about one calm step from dead. The man is never riled up and rarely loses his cool. He handles the kids way better than I do.

On that particular night I thought about how I had gotten mad after my husband had just done what I had asked. Then all of the sudden lightening struck and I burst out laughing. Travis asked me what was so funny. I replied,

"Do you know what women want?"

He responded, "Of course not."

I nodded and then looked at him with an amused expression on my face. "I want you to be me, only better. . .I want you to be the best version of me."

It sounded ridiculous coming out of my mouth and I knew it, but it didn't make it any less true.

It was like I had had a major epiphany. I want him to do things like I would, handle situations like I do, but better than I actually do and better than I actually am.

I guess I have given up on making me better so I just work on him now. I think that's what nagging is. I also realize that it may be working. Now I will continue free of guilt. I'm so glad he learned such a valuable lesson. I bet he is too.
 




7 comments:

  1. Woah! Maybe you have uncovered the great secret of the ages. I mean... I get what you are saying. Excellent observation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there, done that - both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie- I love you!... that husband of yours is so dang lucky, because YOU are the best version of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I have never read your blog before but YOU are ME! I'm so grateful to have stumbled across your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have very good insight on this and your KSL article. I hope it resonates with young kids who are trying to find that someone to marry and realize they can be happy with many different people, it's all in what they make it. Thank you for your great article.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found you from the KSL article...great BTW...this though...this is exactly me! Thanks for the reality check. Ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This made me laugh, because it is true.

    ReplyDelete