Monday, June 24, 2013

What's my age again?

I was in the grocery store today and as I stood in line to check out there was a man in his late 60's talking to the checker who was about 20. This gentleman was telling the life story of each of his children. I didn't get an exact count, but it must have been about 800 kids.  He had long since checked out so I just waited patiently.

When he had finished and left, I made a comment to the checker that he was nice to visit with the man. The checker responded, "He comes in all the time and tells me the same stories."

I again said how nice it was that he took the time to listen and talk to him. The checker than looked at me straight-faced and said, "He doesn't have a wife anymore and he's old and lonely. Well, you know. You aren't that far off from that."

Wait, what?!?

So let me get this straight, if you graduated from High School two years ago and you see someone who is 12 years older than you are, you think that person is closer in age to an almost seventy-year-old than to you??

He must have seen the look on my face because he said, "No you're a long way from that. You have plenty of time."

Oh, Thank you wise and youthful grocery-store-check-out-boy for reassuring me that I still have "time".


I hope that next week (if I haven't passed on yet) he goes through my cart and asks me what in my life makes me so sad that I have to fill it up with so much sugar.


1 comment: