Monday, April 29, 2013

The bestest mommy in the whole wide world.


My son Cameron is late on a daily basis to school. He likes to say good-bye a million times. This includes going around the car and hugging and kissing me, the baby, and his little sister. Of course that's not a bad thing at all. The problem comes when his OCD tendencies kick in and he has to give us a certain amount of hugs and kisses in a certain way before he can leave. This can get very time consuming and we're usually late already.

This is what happened the other day when I dropped him off.

Me: "Good-bye Cam. Have a great day I love you."

Cam is now outside of the car. Suddenly he stops and turns quickly, then screams at the top of his lungs: "Hug and Kiss!!!" It's ironic that he yells two words like "hug" and "kiss", because it sounds like he is being attacked and screaming for help. 

Me (patiently): "Cam, we already did hug and kiss. I love you buddy. You need to go right now, you're going to be late."

Cameron now makes an angry face: "No we didn't! You kissed me, I didn't kiss you! I need to kiss you, not you kiss me!"

My patience is growing very thin, the other kids in the carpool are already inside the building. I speak more sternly this time. "Seriously Cameron, you need to go. You are late. We can't do this everyday."

Cameron ignores me and comes back to the car. He gives us all another hug and kiss. Thankfully it meets his his OCD standards. I hug him again. My hug turns into a shove toward the school doors. "Goooo now."

I start to drive off when I can see that Cameron has finally opened the school doors. I breathe a sigh of relief that he's finally inside the school. Suddenly I see Cameron turn around and b-line it halfway back to the car. "You've got to be kidding me!" I yell as I throw the car into park.  I roll down my window.

Me: "What in the world are you doing?!? Cam, you're late son!"

Cameron starts to blow me a million kisses and then shouts in a sweet voice: "I love you. You're the bestest mommy in the whole wide world!"

I roll down my window and yell: "Oh my hell Cam! Get in the school now!!"

Cameron turns around and skips into the school with a big smile on his face.

I guess it doesn't take much to be the bestest mommy in the whole wide world. Thank goodness for that.    


4 comments:

  1. My oldest is like that with hugs and kisses. First, she'll need a hug. Then, a kiss. THEN she needs a hug and a kiss together. And then repeat for every family member. I'm not sure if it's the start of some OCD quirkiness or the best stall-tactic ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's got to be a stall-tactic, otherwise why is that the only time he wants to kiss and hug me? LOL. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that this didn't end with you feeling guilty for saying that! awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for saying that. I debated about posting it, but I want other moms to know that sometimes that's just how it goes and that's ok.

    ReplyDelete