Monday, March 4, 2013

Ghost Bird

My 5-year-old son, Cameron has a monstrosity of an Angry Bird that he got for Christmas. It's hideous and huge. I tried to tell him that Santa doesn't bring stuffed animals, let alone ones that are the same size that he is, but in the end Santa went soft.

The kid already has three other Angry Bird-stuffed-animals plus a stuffed-animal-cow that he's had since birth. To make matters worse, he insists on sleeping with all of them. It's getting ridiculous. When I go in at night after he's asleep, his head is always sopping wet from sweat where the monstrous Angry Bird is shoved between the wall and his head. I've started moving it and all his other stuffed animals to the foot of his bed after he falls asleep so he doesn't get heat exhaustion.

The other night I did just that before settling in to watch a movie with my husband. About twenty minutes later I could hear walking in the kitchen. I called for whichever child it was to come into the living room.  No one came so I went into the kitchen. I found Cameron shaking in the corner crying. 

"Hey. It's OK buddy. Did you have a nightmare?" I asked him.

Cam's face was really sad as he shook his head, "no". Since he seemed pretty shaken up, I told him to just come lay with me on the couch for a bit. He was sitting on my lap and all of the sudden he looks at me and squeaks out, "Angry Bird moved." After he says it, he clings to me and just starts sobbing.

I'm thinking, what do you mean Angry Bird moved? And then it hits me, this poor kid is scared to death. He wakes up only to find that his Angry Bird isn't by his side anymore. Instead the huge thing is now seated at the end of the bed staring at him. He thinks the stupid thing is possessed and has somehow moved.

I apologize profusely and tell him that his bird didn't move and that it was me that moved it. He finally works up the courage to go back to bed. Needless to say, I've stopped moving Angry Bird.

I'm not going to lie though, I stuck that little tidbit of bad parenting in my back pocket. I'm not going to say that I'm going to do it again . . .I'm just going to say that you can never have enough reserves just in case.

1 comment:

  1. Amen!! That boy does love his Angry Birds . . . He talks about them all the time in carpool, it's really quite funny. I pointed it out to him the other day and he was rather puzzled. Hope I didn't add to the trauma unknowingly ;)

    ReplyDelete